2017 Honda FOURTRAX RANCHER 4X4 DCT EPS (TRX420FA2)
Something for just about everyone.
Any mechanic, woodworker, tradesman or craftsman knows that the right tool makes the job a whole lot easier. And having the right tool means having a choice. We’ve all seen someone try to drive a screw with a butter knife, or pound a nail with a shoe heel. The results are never pretty.
Honda’s FourTrax Rancher line are premium tools for the jobs you need to do, whether that’s on the farm, the jobsite, hunting, fishing, exploring... or on the ranch. It’s easy for you to choose the right mix of features—just like reaching for that right tool.
Every Rancher starts with the same proven Honda engine, the heart of any ATV. A 420cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder design with fuel injection, it’s engineered for the kind of wide, low-revving power an ATV rider wants. And it offers something no other ATV can: Honda’s legendary reliability and efficiency.
Choosing a Rancher is a no-brainer. Your only real challenge is choosing the right Rancher. And shouldn’t all life’s challenges be that easy?
- Longitudinal Engine Layout: By orienting the crankshaft front to back in the chassis in our ATV and side-by-side engines, we route the flow of power straight to the wheels without any unnecessary right-angle detours, reducing powertrain friction and putting more grunt to the ground.
- Semi-Dry-Sump Engine Design: Compact and lighter-weight, the Rancher’s overhead-valve, semi-dry-sump design creates an engine that's shorter from top to bottom. That returns two big benefits: it enhances handling by lowering the engine's center of gravity, and it also allows for better ground clearance.
- Programmed Fuel Injection: Being able to count on crisp performance and starting under any conditions is a must for anyone who depends on their ATV. Thanks to Honda's Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)—featuring a 34mm throttle body, 12-hole Denso injector, and an oxygen sensor that allows the fuel mapping to instantaneously adjust to any riding condition—the Rancher not only ensures trouble-free operation in the cold and at varying altitudes, it reduces emissions and enhances fuel efficiency.
- In-Tank Fuel Pump: The Rancher incorporates an in-tank fuel pump for cooler pump operation, and long pump life.
- Shaft Drive: Clean, efficient, proven, low-maintenance. Shaft drive is the perfect choice for a machine like this, and for riders who pile on the miles. You never have to worry about lubrication or adjustment out on the trail. And an added plus: it helps keep your ATV cleaner, too.
- Swingarm Rear Suspension: On select Rancher models, the rear swingarm incorporates an enclosed, solid-axle design for strength and rigidity. When you need to tow a heavy load, the swingarm eliminates rear suspension squat as the load is placed on the axle itself, not on the rear shock.
- Comfortable Seat: A plush seat and open rider triangle (Bars/Seat/Pegs) teams up with the suspension to really treat you right. Superior ergonomics have always been a Honda priority, and the Rancher is no exception. With thick, soft foam, it’s exceptionally comfortable.
- Digital Instruments: Easy to read and full of the information you want. In addition to the standard gear position indicator, speedometer, odometer, trip meter, and hour meter— you get readouts for fuel level, clock, water temperature, speed and Honda’s “maintenance minder” system (to help remind you when it’s time to have your ATV serviced).
- Reverse Lever: The Rancher’s reverse lever is simple, easy and intuitive to use.
- Available Electric Power Steering (EPS): Electric Power Steering helps eliminate bump steer and lessens steering effort, especially over rocks, logs and on sidehills. Honda’s system is second to none. There’s no pump, belts, or hoses to fail. Plus you get more boost when you need it: when you’re in four-wheel drive, at lower speeds and in rough conditions.
- TraxLok® Selectable 2WD/4WD: Our rock-solid system lets you choose either 2WD or 4WD instantly, giving you the freedom to choose between lighter steering (in 2WD) and maximizing available traction (in 4WD) when you need it most.
- Automatic DCT: The Rancher’s Honda Automatic DCT transmission offers strong internals, fast shifts, excellent control, true compression-braking capability in steep terrain, and an automatic program that upshifts and downshifts while you concentrate on riding. It’s one of the best available choices you can make.
- Engine Type: 420cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected OHV wet-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 86.5 mm x 71.5 mm
- Induction: Keihin® 34mm throttle-body fuel-injection system
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric with optional auxiliary recoil
- Compression Ratio: 9.9:1
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Automatic DCT with Reverse
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts with TraxLok® and torque-sensitive front differential
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 6.69 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: Swingarm with single shock; 6.69 in. travel
- Front Brake: 190 mm Dual hydraulic disc
- Rear Brake: 160 mm Sealed mechanical drum
- Front Tire: 24 x 8-12
- Rear Tire: 24 x 10-11
- Length: 82.8 in.
- Width: 47.4 in.
- Height: 46.2 in.
- Wheelbase: 49.9 in.
- Seat Height: 33.7 in.
- Ground Clearance: 7.2 in.
- Curb Weight: 639 lb. (includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity: 3.9 gal., including 1.3-gal. reserve
- Turning Radius: 9.7 feet
- Model Id: TRX420FA2F
- Emissions: Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA off-road emissions standards
- Available Colors: Red, Olive, Shale Blue
- One Year: Transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
- Engine Type
- Fuel-injected OHV wet-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore x Stroke
- 86.5 mm x 71.5 mm
- Engine Cooling
- Fuel System
- Keihin® 34mm throttle-body fuel-injection system
- Starting System
- Electric with optional auxiliary recoil
- Front Suspension
- Independent double-wishbone
- Front Travel
- 6.69 in.
- Front Brake Type
- 190 mm Dual hydraulic disc
- Front Tires
- 24 x 8-12
- Rear Travel
- 6.69 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with single shock
- Rear Brake Type
- 160 mm Sealed mechanical drum
- Rear Tires
- 24 x 10-11
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 639 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.9 gal., including 1.3-gal. reserve
- Ground Clearance
- 7.2 in.
- Machine Dimensions (LxWxH)
- 82.8 in. x 47.4 in. x 46.2 in.
- 49.9 in.
- Drive Train
- Direct front and rear driveshafts with TraxLok® and torque-sensitive front differential
- Automatic DCT with Reverse
- Red, Olive, Shale Blue
- One Year transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan